Last week I was hosting for the awesome team of PostPlanner. I think we’ve shared pretty awesome information there, so I created these takeaways with some actionable tips to try!
Here’s what we’ve discussed (click each question for more details!)
- What tips can you offer to move fans from Facebook to a website or blog?
- How can Facebook be used to drive traffic and ultimately build an email list?
- What role does visual content play in moving traffic from Facebook to a website or blog?
- Traffic is great, but how can you increase conversions from Facebook leads?
- What are the best ways hashtags can be used to increase traffic from Facebook?
- How does EdgeRank impact your ability to drive traffic from Facebook?
- You are a master at driving traffic from Facebook. What are your top secrets?
- What tools can Page managers use to improve Facebook engagement and traffic?
- Influencers play a huge role in traffic driving efforts. How do you create those relationships?
- Other than money, what else do we need to invest to grow our traffic with Facebook?
[block]11[/block]1. What tips can you offer to move fans from Facebook to a website or blog?What tips can you offer to move fans from Facebook to a website or blog?Click To Tweet
(1) Post content regularly:
- Create weekly columns (e.g. weekly marketing tip) linking to where they can find more!
- Post links with headlines that intrigue and gets people click!
(2) Schedule and buffer updates
I’ve listed some of the best scheduling social media tools as well as more practical social media tips in this article.
Today’s trend is to recommend to upload images and post image updates only. I recommend playing with both: If you share as URL, the image thumbnail is clickable
(3) Brand pages are limited in visibility
I often share on page first and then re-share to my personal account (to grow both)
(4) Use Facebook page calls-to-action!
[block]13[/block]2. How can Facebook be used to drive traffic and ultimately build an email list?How can Facebook be used to drive traffic and ultimately build an email list?Click To Tweet
(1) Use relevant calls-to-action
Play with different ones to find a better converting one!) They come with analytics too.
I am not sure if people ever click a link in “About” section (I never do) but this one does get clicks that convert!
Make sure that call-to-action is relevant (e.g. don’t use “Contact us” call-to-action if you really want them to subscribe)
(2) Use “Boost” feature to promote your content regularly
You don’t need huge budgets needed: Even as little as $5 per post will increase your content visibility.
No secret that Facebook is prioritizing your friend’s personal content in news feed over pages, so you have to pay for exposure!
(3) Interact (like+reply) with every single comment
This increases your overall visibility (and thus traffic). Gradually build relationships with your fans using quick contests, offers, etc to increase its organic reach
[block]14[/block]3. What role does visual content play in moving traffic from Facebook to a website or blog?What role does visual content play in moving traffic from Facebook to a website or blog?Click To Tweet
Huge! Images naturally attract more attention and actions (Our eyes are naturally drawn to visuals!)
Secondly, Facebook is known to prioritize content you upload (images, videos) to linked content (that drives people off Facebook).
That said, visuals tend to outperform non-visual content (but as I said, diversify!)
Visual content increases exposure and builds up your organic reach and thus improves your overall Facebook results.
[block]16[/block]4. Traffic is great, but how can you increase conversions from Facebook leads?Traffic is great, but how can you increase conversions from Facebook leads?Click To Tweet
(1) Optimize your landing page to those who come from Facebook
Think about your Facebook visitors’ intent: e.g. If they come for a fun viral read, it’s not smart to try to immediately sell anything to them! That crowd may be turned into email leads for “more fun content like this”
(2) You can promote your call to action using ads too!
(3) You can use calls-to-action when uploading a video to a page
I see good results with uploading videos that come with a call to action! Users respond well to that!
[block]17[/block]5. What are the best ways hashtags can be used to increase traffic from Facebook?What are the best ways hashtags can be used to increase traffic from Facebook?Click To Tweet
I don’t use Facebook hashtags as often as I need. Unlike Twitter, I don’t use generic hashtags on Facebook like #healthcare
Instead, I use specific and trending hashtags (when it makes sense) like event hashtags, local hashtags that trends
Examples: Local businesses can boost Facebook page exposure by warning fans of bad weather conditions with local hashtag
Facebook hashtags may make sense for (celebrity) names, local communities, events, think objects, not concepts
I wrote on hashtag research at @PostPlanner blog (not all of that works for FB though).
I wrote an article on different ways to use hashtags on social media here.
[block]20[/block]6. How does EdgeRank impact your ability to drive traffic from Facebook?How does EdgeRank impact your ability to drive traffic from Facebook?Click To Tweet
EdgeRank may be more complicated that I imagine but to me it works like this: The more you interact, the more of your updates people you interact with will naturally see.
This works for both the personal profile and the page (pages are tougher though)
This means you need to constantly be there to interact (like, comment) with other people’s content.
They say dwell time (how long people look at the update before scrolling even without interacting) also matters for EdgeRank This means your Facebook updates need to catch an eye: Make sure they require a second look.
EdgeRank matters more than timing on Facebook (unlike Twitter)
[block]22[/block]7. You are a master at driving traffic from Facebook. What are your top secrets?What are your top Facebook traffic driving secrets?Click To Tweet
Not sure if there’s anything secret about that but:
(1) Boost posts (especially with calls-to-action in them)
Often I’ll boost a post which I expect to do well naturally (meme or video): To increase my “EdgeRank”.
(2) Post offers with links:
They tend to receive some organic engagements and clicks!
Facebook offers tend to have a perfect intent: This traffic converts!
(3) Play with “trigger” words:
I saw my FB friend add “Anniversary!” word to her update to see many more engagements.
You don’t want to overdo with those but why not share your blog anniversary with a link?
(4) Use Viral Content Buzz to get people outside of my circles share my content on Facebook.
Viral Content Buzz supports both personal & bus page sharing and scheduling!
(5) Use Facebook “Clicks to website” ads and play with various wording and target audience until you find yours
[block]24[/block]8. What tools can Page managers use to improve Facebook engagement and traffic?What tools can Page managers use to improve Facebook engagement and traffic?Click To Tweet
- Use PostPlanner to create a consistent, yet not overwhelming facebook posting calendar
- I also use MavSocial to schedule visual updates for a month a head (to always have something neat going on)
- I use Cyfe to keep an eye on all my page stats on one page (to spot where we are lacking)
- I use BuzzSumo to analyze which content goes well on Facebook in my niche (search by keyword/site and filter by Facebook shares)
- As I said, I use VCBuzz to increase my FB reach beyond my connections for free
[block]30[/block]9. Influencers play a huge role in traffic driving efforts. How do you create those relationships?Influencers play a huge role in traffic driving efforts. How do you create those relationships?Click To Tweet
I tag! Here are a few Facebook-tagging rules that work and don’t annoy influencers!
(1) Never tag anyone unless that makes sense:
e.g. I tag people / tools I mentioned in my article
(2) You won’t be able to tag personal accounts from business pages (in most cases), so here’s what I do: I share on business page first, and then re-share as a personal account tagging everyone mentioned in the linked article
(3) I tag business pages in the business page update (easier than tagging people)
Those business page managers will be notified and will come to your page to like and interact!
[block]31[/block]10. Other than money, what else do we need to invest to grow our traffic with Facebook?Other than money, what else do we need to invest to grow our traffic with Facebook?Click To Tweet
Time and creativity! Come up with original graphics and useful content!
You can read lots of advice on Facebook marketing but ultimately it comes down to lots of playing and experimenting
The more you do, the more engagement and traffic you build, so you need to invest lots of time